As an expectant mother, one of the most important decisions you will make during your pregnancy is choosing the right doula to support you during labor and delivery. But just as crucial is the doula service agreement you will sign with your chosen professional.
A doula service agreement is a contract between you and your doula that outlines the terms and conditions of your working relationship. It is a legal document that protects both parties, ensuring clear communication, expectations, and responsibilities.
Here are a few key elements that should be included in a doula service agreement:
1. Services: The agreement should clearly state the doula`s services, including the number of prenatal meetings, the length of labor support, postpartum follow-up, and any additional services like childbirth education or breastfeeding support.
2. Compensation: The agreement should specify the doula`s fee, payment schedule, and refund policy in case of unforeseen circumstances.
3. Availability: The agreement should outline the doula`s availability and on-call status during your due date period, including any backup plans in case of emergency.
4. Communication: The agreement should establish how you will communicate with your doula before, during, and after labor, including phone, text, email, or in-person meetings.
5. Confidentiality: The agreement should include a confidentiality clause that protects your privacy and any sensitive information shared between you and your doula.
6. Scope of Practice: The agreement should clarify the doula`s role and limitations, stating that she is not a medical provider and will not perform any clinical tasks or provide medical advice.
7. Termination: The agreement should explain the process for terminating the doula`s services if necessary, and any refund policies in case of cancellation.
While it may seem overwhelming to read and sign a doula service agreement, it is a necessary step to ensure a positive and productive partnership with your doula. A well-written agreement can help both you and your doula feel more confident and secure during this exciting and transformative time in your life.